Meet Our Treasurer

Tom Mead, City Treasurer, 517-655-2774, ext. 103,

Tom’s municipal experience includes having served as a deputy treasurer for 11 years before working an additional 11 years in the role of finance director/treasurer.  Tom is a long-time member of the Michigan Municipal Treasurer’s Association, Michigan Governmental Finance Officers Association, the National Governmental Finance Officers Association, and the Association of Public Treasurers, United States & Canada.  All of which provide invaluable municipal treasurer education opportunities.  Prior to municipal government, Tom spent over 8 years in commercial banking, and 5 years in auditing, governmental consulting, and private sector accounting.  Tom graduated from Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado (“The Campus in the Sky” as it is often referred to) with a major in accounting and a minor in business administration.  Tom and his wife Laurie have 3 adult children.  Tom enjoys spending time with his grandchildren, working on his small farm, and relaxing in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.  




Q.  Why didn’t I receive a tax bill?
Sometimes owner address changes aren’t received before tax bills are prepared. Call
517-655-2774 to resolve any incorrect information.

Q.  How do I pay?
We accept cash, personal checks and money orders. Credit cards are accepted online through the link on the home page.  Partial payments are also accepted. Payments for City taxes can be paid at City Hall, 161 E Grand River Ave., Williamston, MI  48895.  (Click here for the Coin Acceptance Policy.)

Q.  I no longer own the property, why am I still getting the bill? Or I now own this property, why is the previous owners name on the bill?
Ownership changes are recorded with the County Register of Deeds and then the assessor receives copies of those deeds for his/her records. The assessor then gives those changes to the treasurer. The treasurer only receives these updates a few times a year when tax bills are printed and mailed. Please call the assessor, Pete Preston, at 517-655-2448 to make any needed corrections.

Q.  What if I think I already paid?
If you have a cancelled check or receipt showing your payment, please call me immediately. Sometimes taxpayers overlook a summer or winter bill, or don’t realize they have paid late and incurred penalties.

Q.  When do taxes become delinquent?
Unpaid property taxes go delinquent to the County Treasurer on March 1st, and additional penalties and fees are added. All questions and payments from then on must be handled by the County Treasurer’s office. Call the County Treasurer’s office at 517-676-7220 for more information.

Q.  What happens if I don’t pay my businesses “personal property” taxes?
Unpaid personal property taxes will result in a loss of that personal property to the local unit of government.

Q.  My taxes are escrowed, why did I receive the tax bill?
This is the tax payer copy.  We have also forwarded a copy to your Mortgage Company or financial institution if there is a number next to “Mort Code”.  If you have recently changed lending institutions, please forward a copy of this statement to your tax paying agent.  Your agent should then request further statements from our office.   

Q. Why didn’t I receive a copy of my paid tax receipt?
If you want a receipt of your tax bill, please provide a stamped self-addressed envelope.  You may also get this information from the City’s website.

Q: Where do my taxes go?
Click here
to see a chart showing how every tax dollar paid to the City is disbursed.


Click here to see a chart showing how every tax dollar paid to the City is disbursed.